Odisha STATE ARCHIVES
The Primary functions of Odisha State Archives are collection, Preservation, management, publication and educational use of records. These functions are performed according to the requirement of the administrative as well as research scholars and also it plays a significant role for promotion of State’s historical research.
- Promotion of States Historical Research: 232 research scholars were availed themselves of research facilities in Odisha State Archives during the period under report and 252 nos. of books & periodicals were added to the reference library of State Archives during the period under report.
- Research Fellowship: One scholar being recommended by H.O.D., Dept. of History Utkal University had worked as Research Scholar and prepared the reference media on the topic “Educational Development in Odisha During British Rule” to facilitate the scholars in tracing out the records of their interests pertaining to above topic.
- Publication: The works relating to publication of “Bhasa Bhittika Swatantra Utkal Pradesh Gathana” is in progress during this period.
- Exhibition: To inculcate awareness among the public about the importance of preservation of old and rare records, Archives Week Celebration programme is organized every year. Under this programme an exhibition entitled “Jagannath Temple during the 1st half of 20th century” was organized during the period under report. Beside this the exhibits of the same exhibition was organized on 8.11.2009 at Ravenshaw University, Cuttack on the occasion of 5th Jagannath Patnaik Memorial National Seminary by Odisha State Archives, Bhubaneswar.
- Survey and acquisition of Records: Under this programme old and rare records of Board of Revenue, Cuttack, Koraput Collectorate and Bargarh Collectorate were surveyed. Besides 233 nos. of books and periodicals were added to the collection of the reference library of State Archives during the period under report. Recently steps have been taken to transfer 219 Nos. of old selected records from Board of revenue, Cuttack having historical and administrative importance to Odisha State Archives for permanent preservation & use by the scholars.
- Repair & Reprography Section: About 2, 66,133 sheets of brittle records were repaired with tissue and were bound 1697 microfilm exposures were prepared from rare records for permanent preservation and use by the scholars.
Besides these 25 Department Records Officers of various Central Government Offices visited Odisha State Archives in connection with their orientation Course during the period under report.